Hearty Winter Salads
- 3 1/2 cups diced butternut squash3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oilKosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup blanched hazelnuts
- 3 cups baby arugula (3 ounces)
- 1 medium head frisée, torn into bite-size pieces3 ounces prosciutto, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 425°. On a baking sheet, toss the squash with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, until tender. Spread the hazelnuts in a pie plate and toast for 6 minutes, until golden. Let cool, then chop.
2. In a large bowl, toss the arugula, frisée, prosciutto, chives, hazelnuts and squash. In a small microwave-safe bowl, mix the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil with the vinegar and hazelnut oil and season with salt and pepper. Microwave the dressing until hot, about 1 minute. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss well and serve.
- 1/2 cup whole unsalted almonds
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced3 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 6 cups baby arugula (6 ounces)
- 2 Belgian endives, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 small head of radicchio, cored and finely shredded
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons apricot jamKosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 8-ounce log of fresh goat cheese, cut into 8 rounds
2. In a bowl, mix the shallot and vinegar; let stand for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, toss the arugula, endives, radicchio and almonds. In a skillet, heat the oil, rosemary and thyme over moderate heat for 2 minutes, until they sizzle. Stir in the jam and cook until melted, 30 seconds. Add the shallot and vinegar and cook over low heat until warmed, 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the greens and toss. Mound the salad on plates, arrange 2 rounds of goat cheese on each plate and serve.